Monday, March 8, 2010

Biz-ymama interview:

What is the name and the online contact info of your business?



How did you come up with it?
My son was born in May and my daughters name starts with a B. I wanted to use a bee in my logo, so I put that all together.

What is your business?
Handmade clothes for ladies and children.

When did you start your business?
The idea started in May of 2009, and I really got working in August 2009. That’s when all my legal items started coming into place. First it was just girls clothes, than it grew to ladies, and now boy items as well.

What made you want to pursue your own business? How did you do it?
If you had told me a year ago I would be doing this, I think I would have laughed at you. I have “played” with ideas before- direct sales etc. I started helping out my friend Amanda at http://www.cutiepatutus.com/ and she inspired me to try it on my own as well. I just made stuff for my daughter, and friends asked me about it. Then I started making things for them. I started a blog listing all my stuff and shared the link with friends. They shared it with their friends as well. Then I wanted a real website, so I did that on my own. Word of mouth led a shop owner to contact me, and that’s how I got into a brick and mortar shop. I then set up etsy and now am actively pursuing wholesale.

What is your daily life/ schedule like?
CRAZY! I am getting up at 6 to do on-line work. My kids are up at 7. We fly through breakfast and fly out the door by 8 or 8:30 depending on the day since I teach preschool 3 days a week. We are back for lunch and a nap for my youngest and “Rest Time” for my daughter. I can get a little bit done then. We play, and if they have afternoon TV for a bit I get some work done. I start dinner around 5, we have family time till 6:30 than its bath and bed for the two. I like to try to spend 1-2 hours at night working, and some time with my husband before I head to bed. It’s crazy, busy, and a wonderful blessing!
When do you find the time to work?
When both kids are asleep is my best time, but its hard because I want to and need to spend time with my husband also- oh and housework, have to fit that in there sometime also. Some Tuesdays I am able to come home for 2 hours before I get them at school at 12.

What are your future goals?
I would love to be able to do this full time- maybe not the sewing, but the designing. I would love to have someone else manufacturing and to be in boutiques all over. Thats a big dream- for now, I just want everyone to love my items as much as I do.
EDITED TO ADD: I also would really like to make enough to justify paying somone else to do the housework that I cant find the time to do...


What is the hardest thing about what you are doing?
I truly feel like I am in a dream, because the hardest thing about what I am doing is that I have no idea what I am doing! I just take it one day and one step at a time.

What advice do you have for other working mommies?
If I can do it, you can do it. The quote “Fake it till you make it” is right. I have NO IDEA how to run a business, but when I act like I know what I am doing, things fall into place. Have faith in your self and in God and take pride in the support of your friends and family.

1 comment:

  1. Super cute kids and feel of your blog, love how you came up with the name! I'm new to blogging myself and slowly getting the hang of it. Nice to "meet" you.

    :)
    Kim

    ReplyDelete